Client/family Education related to AntidepressantsClient/family Education related to Antidepressants https://urgentcarenearmetx.com/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Tony Guo Tony Guo https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/aa9bbdf8f1e6bbf534778ecea7c0c925?s=96&d=mm&r=g
- Tony Guo
- no comments
Client/family Education related to Antidepressants
- Continue to take medication for 4 weeks.
- Do not discontinue medication abruptly.
- Report sore throat, fever, malaise, yellow skin, bleeding, bruising, persistent vomiting or headaches, rapid heart rate, seizures, stiff neck, and chest pain to physician.
- Avoid foods and medications high in tyramine when taking M A O I’s. These include
- Aged cheese, Wine; beer, Chocolate; colas, Coffee; tea, Sour cream; yogurt, Smoked and processed meats, Beef or chicken liver, Canned figs, Caviar, Raisins, Pickled herring, Yeast products, Broad beans, Soy sauce, Cold remedies, Diet pills
- Can be caused by ingesting 2 different SSRIs such as sertraline (Zoloft) & paroxetine (Paxil) at the same time
- Symptoms include any or all –
- Confusion, Agitation, Tachycardia, Hypertension, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Myoclonus, Muscular rigidity, Fever, Diaphoresis, Tremoring
- Between 30 and 50% of patients do not respond to first antidepressant prescription.
- A study is needed to identify benefits of routine testing, cost effectiveness, and ability to provide timely results.